- This event has passed.
HSP Mothers Talking Circle
October 6 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Cash or Venmo: $5-$10 donation
Topics: Transitioning into Motherhood, Relationship Challenges, Celebrations & Gratitudes, Babies, Toddlers, Postpartum Depression and Anxiety, Mom Guilt, Time Management, Grief, etc.
— — —
If you are a new or fairly new Mother and are seeking a supportive, safe space to connect with other local HSP women to share the challenges and celebrations of Motherhood and relationships, you’re in the right place.
Talking Circles are a Native American approach to experiential learning. The purpose of a Talking Circle is to create a safe, non-judgmental place to discuss an issue and allows each person to have the opportunity to speak without interruption. The intention is to engage and share openly, authentically, and honestly about your thoughts and feelings, to be seen and heard, and acknowledged and witnessed for your personal experience, whether beautiful or dark. We will always meet you where you are.
The skills learned in this environment will not only teach you how to listen to your fellow group members in a more genuine way, but it will also foster your ability to slow down and listen to your child(ren), partner, and inner voice with greater presence and curiosity outside of the circle.
You are not forced to speak or share, but we do ask that you only speak when you have the ‘talking stick’. The talking stick is a symbol of respect and honor and is to be shared amongst the spirit of others. When you do not have the stick, your job is to listen with presence and hold space for the speaker.
Finally, this space is not meant to give or receive advice. However, if you do wish to receive advice or feedback, you may ask for one round of clarifying questions and/or comments of what the other group members see and hear from what you presented.
— — —
HSP Mothers Talking Circle Agreements:
1. Talking Stick = Speaker (Your chance to practice using your voice and being seen/heard). No Stick = Practice listening/holding space for others.
2. Confidentiality = Every circle is different. Share only your personal experience, not someone else’s. What is said in the circle stays in the circle. No exceptions. If you do not comply you will be kindly asked to not return to the space.
3. If you need something, do it/ask for it. Don’t force yourself to be uncomfortable if you need something. Use the bathroom. Tend to your child. We are all Mothers and understand.
4. Trust the Process; Share from what you feel in the present and don’t try to plan ahead what you will say. Tune into a key word or feeling and speak from there.
5. Refrain From Giving Advice to Others. However, if you would like feedback from other members, you may ask for one round of ideas and deeper questions from the others.